Sunday, April 17, 2011

Werewolves, Vampires, Sexuality, and Violence (Oh my!) ((Giggity))

Peronal Crap, feel free to skip past it to the dotted line. lol

So I watched Scream 4 in the theatre last night.  Made me insanely happy.  I think I love the ending better than anything that I read leaked onto the internet.

I came home, laid down for bed, and in less than an hour I was awake and in pain.  It felt like something was tearing across the back of my right forearm.  Got up, went downstairs and grabbed my brace, and strapped it on.  I really wish I knew what the heck is going on with my arms.  (Yep, got pain in the left arm now too -_-)  If you could believe it, it's just irritating at this point because I can't ignore it anymore.  Oh well.
:
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've started research on something that may eventually turn into a book.  Or at least I'd like it to.

Werewolves and vampires have always, always held a special place in my heart.  I love elves and fae and zombies too, but c'mon.  As one might suspect, the whole concept of a werewolf or a vampire is a fairly subjective thing.  In the last decade or so, there's been dozens - if not hundreds - of different vampires and werewolves.  In the case of werewolves, they can be human shaped with fangs, a serial killer that's particularly brutal, a beast with intellect, a straight-up animal, or the the shirtless object of affection for any girl that has a fetish for well-built native Americans with a thing for clumsy white chicks with no real redeeming qualities.  Vampires have always been blood drinkers, but the ferocity of their attacks, the wildness of their nature, the location of their fangs, how strong they are - all of these things are up for debate within the mind of anyone who thinks about them.

I started digging into historical accounts of lycanthropy and vampirism only to find that even the legends themselves - the very things that created what we know now - were even more subjective than what we have now.  I need to find it now, but the most extreme version of a vampire I remember finding was nothing more than a spectre of a woman; her head was intact, she had no arms or legs, but all of her innards and her spine hung freely as she floated around wailing and consuming the blood of men.  And I read a text the other day, from the 50s, in which an anthropologist suggested that lycanthropy developed as a mythos out of man's desire to take up and wear the skins of other animals - in the hopes of becoming stronger than they were, and even more ferocious.  He also attempted to use this as an explanation for man's aggression and omnivorous nature - saying that some varieties of ape are 100% peaceful and that man is the only truly violent ape (give him a break, it was a weird point in history to be making the claims he did).

Mythos, in general, for any given culture, reveals stunning amounts of information about their values and about their fears.  Vampires and werewolves, now moreso than in the past, reveal two very specific things about a society:  their views on sexuality and their views on violent behaviour.

Vampires and werewolves represent the two subjects in different ways.  I would say they're masculine and feminine or light and dark of the same idea, but that doesn't fit.  At all.

In a very distinct way, vampires represent a sort of refined violence; the violence and the sexuality that was created by society.  Opposing that, werwolves represent wild violence, the violence and sexual nature that exists in man before it's altered by society.  I say representative, in that if you examine the amount of comfort and elaboration in the mythos, you get a sense of the people that made it.  I'm not copping out just yet, I will explain more at a later time, and after more research, but for now I'm done.  Just think on that some.

No comments:

Post a Comment